Legal Counsel / Head of Legal
Elvie is a health and lifestyle brand developing smarter technology for women. We are committed to building extraordinary products that improve the health and lives of women everywhere and at all stages of life.
Our first product, Elvie Trainer, is an award-winning app-connected Kegel trainer that helps women strengthen the pelvic floor via fun, five-minute workouts. Launched in October 2015 to great acclaim, we took the wellness industry by storm! Our street cred includes more than 12 awards for innovation and design, including the prestigious CES Innovation Award, IDA Design Award and Red Dot Award. As a business, Elvie has been recognized as one of Wired’s ‘hottest start-ups’, named as one of the 15 start-ups “To Watch” by The Sunday Times and both products have been featured in the Oscar Nominee Gift Bags.
We recently launched our second innovation: Elvie Pump, the world’s first silent wearable breast pump, which is making it possible for new mothers to pump anytime, anywhere. Elvie Pump received international praise following its unveiling on the catwalk at London Fashion Week and at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
In April 2019, Elvie announced a $42 million Series B from IPGL, Octopus Ventures and Impact Ventures bringing the total raised thus far to over $50 million. Our Series B represented the largest ever fundraise in femtech. This new round of financing will accelerate Elvie’s research and development efforts, as well as help grow brand awareness and distribution for Elvie Pump and Elvie Trainer across the Americas, Europe and Asia. We currently have offices in London and New York.
Why you should join us
Founded by women's health expert Tania Boler and Alex Asseily of Jawbone, Elvie is a collection of incredibly talented and passionate team members combining research, innovation and data to transform the way women think and feel about themselves.
Elvie is at the crest of a wave! Our team of engineers, creatives, researchers, dreamers and doers are shaping the growing fem-tech industry by creating disruptive products that address the challenges that matter most to women and lift the taboo around women’s bodies. Here, you can be part of a business and brand that has a positive and meaningful impact on the world.
This is absolutely a great time to join Elvie; you will have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to build and develop your role and remit. Be ready to learn, have fun and be inspired by our passionate, talented team! We're on the lookout for ambitious, talented and smart individuals to join our expanding team. Is this you?
Elvie is looking for a self-motivated, dynamic lawyer to join us as our first Legal Counsel / Head of Legal. You should be excited by the challenges that come along with building a disruptive business and working at a high growth company and you pride yourself on being an independent and strategic player who can act decisively in situations requiring quick but thorough analysis and decision-making. You are detail-oriented, excel at communicating complex issues to business leaders succinctly and persuasively, and are able to prioritize and re-prioritize based on changing business needs.
You will be our first point of contact for all things Legal, responsible for supporting Elvie's rapid expansion efforts around the world. This is a generalist role requiring a thorough understanding of Elvie's multifaceted business and oversight over various legal workstreams, including sales and marketing (commercial contracts primarily), operations, corporate, employment, privacy and data protection, and Intellectual Property. Our work is cutting edge, revolutionary and always evolving so it will be up to you to continuously assess and advise the teams on legal issues using a creative and pragmatic approach. You will report to the President, Corporate & Commercial and have high interaction with all levels of the organisation.
- Act as In-House Legal Counsel
- Manage, draft, negotiate and execute all forms of company contracts and agreements
- Develop and implement standard templates, forms and processes
- Provide training to the sales, marketing and operations teams on processes, compliance, regulation and new legislation, including anti-bribery, data protection issues and competition law compliance
- Advise key stakeholders on legal priorities (corporate governance and other relevant regulations and legislation)
- Advise sales executives and management regarding contractual obligations and interpret terms and conditions
- Offer counsel to different teams across the company on mitigating legal risks and the legal liabilities associated with different deals, and provide ad-hoc training as required
- Handle other project-based work within the scope of the legal department responsibilities on as-needed basis
- Provide Company Secretarial support to the company, ensuring that all statutory matters and filings are handled in a timely manner
- Research and anticipate unique legal issues that could impact the company
- Liaise with and manage relationships with external counsel from time to time
- Proactively develop and project manage a company-wide IP strategy, including executing procedures for protecting patents, trademarks and industrial designs
- Review advertising and marketing materials to ensure that they are in compliance with jurisdictional legal requirements (such as, but not limited to, GDPR and PECR)
- Support corporate transactions and M&A (as required)
- Build out a team (if appropriate / as necessary)
- 5+ years' post qualification experience
- Worked in a highly successful and recognised commercial team either in private practice, or a strong in-house team in the consumer products or technology sector.
- Experience with commercial contracts. Employment, Technology, and Intellectual Property law is a plus but not required.
- Have a LLB/LLM from a top accredited law school and exceptional academic credentials
- Qualified to practice law in the United Kingdom in good standing (additional qualifications in EU or US is a plus)
- Excellent technical legal skills, especially drafting and interpretative abilities.
- Highly commercial and constructive problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work with a degree of autonomy, taking the initiative and proactively managing tasks.
- A well-rounded personality, able to build & maintain strong relationships with important business
- Experience working in an international company and/or for a rapid growth, scale-up business is a plus
- Working knowledge of data privacy issues (e.g. GDPR, Data Protection Act 2018 and E-Privacy Regulation) a plus.