General Manager, U.S.
Elvie is a health and lifestyle brand developing smarter technology for women. We are committed to building extraordinary products that improve the health and lives of women everywhere and at all stages of life.
Our first product, Elvie Trainer, is an award-winning app-connected Kegel trainer that helps women strengthen the pelvic floor via fun, five-minute workouts. Launched in October 2015 to great acclaim, we took the wellness industry by storm! Our street cred includes more than 12 awards for innovation and design, including the prestigious CES Innovation Award, IDA Design Award and Red Dot Award. As a business, Elvie has been recognized as one of Wired’s ‘hottest start-ups’, named as one of the 15 start-ups “To Watch” by The Sunday Times and both products have been featured in the Oscar Nominee Gift Bags.
We recently launched our second innovation: Elvie Pump, the world’s first silent wearable breast pump, which is making it possible for new mothers to pump anytime, anywhere. Elvie Pump received international praise following its unveiling on the catwalk at London Fashion Week and at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.
In April 2019, Elvie announced a $42 million Series B led by IPGL and supported by Octopus Ventures and Impact Ventures. This represented the largest ever fundraise in femtech. This new round of financing will accelerate Elvie’s research and development efforts, as well as help grow brand awareness and distribution for Elvie Pump and Elvie Trainer across the Americas, Europe and Asia. We currently have offices in London and New York City.
Why you should join us
Founded by women's health expert Tania Boler and Alex Asseily of Jawbone, Elvie is a collection of incredibly talented and passionate team members combining research, innovation and data to transform the way women think and feel about themselves.
Elvie is at the crest of a wave! Our team of engineers, creatives, researchers, dreamers and doers are shaping the growing fem-tech industry by creating disruptive products that address the challenges that matter most to women and lift the taboo around women’s bodies. Here, you can be part of a business and brand that has a positive and meaningful impact on the world.
This is absolutely a great time to join Elvie; you will have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. Be ready to learn, have fun and be inspired by our passionate, talented team!
We're on the lookout for ambitious, talented and smart individuals to join our expanding team. Is this you?
In the U.S., Elvie has been successfully selling our products direct to consumer via Elvie.com and through several top-tier Retailers. We've historically been managing this market through our team based in London with frequent U.S. travel. Given the size of the market and phenomenal growth to date, it's become clear that the U.S. will continue to be crucial to our future growth and that to fully maximise the opportunity, it will necessitate the building of a local U.S. based operation. After we closed our Series B in April 2019, we agreed to set up our U.S. physical presence and open our first office in New York City. We are now building the U.S. team which will initially consist of a General Manager, Head of Marketing, Head of Sales, and PR. Once the team is in place, we expect it to further grow and evolve as needed.
The General Manager, U.S. will be responsible for building, developing and leading the day-to-day operations of the U.S., one of our largest markets in the world. As the US represents a large part of the total business, this role will be very influential in helping to set the future direction of the business. S/he will have full P&L responsibility for the region and will also work closely with Corporate to develop the appropriate systems, processes, and infrastructure to support the growth of the US operation.
The GM of the U.S. will be a hands-on executive that brings strong operating and general management credentials. This individual will bring extensive experience in P&L management and be highly involved in not only setting strategic direction, but also actively executing the plans. S/he will be charged with setting strategy and leading the execution in close alignment with Corporate while leading and overseeing the day-to-day operations. The GM will be responsible for building and leading a world-class team, solidly positioning the company for significant growth in the near future. The ideal candidate will be a high-energy, can-do, team player.
S/he will lead a team initially comprised of 3 people (Head of Marketing, Head of Sales, and PR Manager) which will grow and evolve as the business necessitates. The GM will work closely with the Global headquarters in London to develop the strategies and plans to drive the US business and deliver the financial results, including future staffing needs.
Business and Operational Management
● Lead all aspects of the U.S. business with full P&L responsibility
o Create and execute upon go-to-market strategy
o Oversee financial and operations of the business
o Meet and exceed revenue and profitability goals
o Develop, manage and deliver the P&L with accountability for meeting and exceeding profit and revenue expectations
● Translate Corporate goals in order to build an effective annual operating plan for the U.S. ensuring that all budgets and performance goals are achieved; develop and implement a strategic plan which has the support across the business; modifies the plan in response to changing internal and external factors
● Create a long-term vision that positions the U.S. business for revenue and profit growth
● Institute processes and best practices for an efficient, well-run operation
● Serve as the US face of the Company to retailers and press
● Experienced in finding, developing and driving ways of improving the operating efficiencies of a business; ideally in the digital technology space.
● Sets the strategies and plans in alignment with Corporate HQ to meet or exceed US / Corporate OKRs with a key focus on delivering the revenue, profit and cash flow targets.
● Able to identify new and incremental revenue opportunities across the business
● Manage the P&L and analyze revenue, profit and cash flow opportunities for the business and recommend actions.
● Ability to oversee all planning, development and implementation of short and long-term budgets and projections, forecasts, and analysis of the financial impact.
Executing for Results
● The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
● Has an entrepreneurial drive; is energetic, self-directed, and goal-oriented.
● Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
● A risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who takes smart risks.
● A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
● Demonstrates passion for the Elvie business and our mission.
Building and Leading Teams
● The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate and coach the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of talent.
● Communicate effectively both within the US operation and with the Corporate headquarters in London.
● The ability to persevere in the face of challenges and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards.
● A leader who is self-reflective and aware of his/her own limitations; high emotional intelligence; leads by example and drives the organization's performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open and able to receive/give direct feedback; bias for constant self-improvement.
● Create and maintain a positive work culture of collaboration, innovation and accountability
● Set and implement hiring and on-boarding processes
Relationships and Influence
● Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
● An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive.
● Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
● Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that engages everyone to the greater purpose for the organization as a whole.
● 10+ years of leadership experience, with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior GM level role with P&L oversight
● Strong combination of Sales and Marketing experience in a top-tier, forward thinking FMCG company
● Working knowledge of key U.S. national accounts (e.g. Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc) is essential
● Experience in working with startups is a plus
● Highly entrepreneurial, driven, hands-on leader who has a solid balance between strategic and tactical, but who is results-focused
● Strong, charismatic and dynamic, with executive presence
● Data-obsessed leader who values accountability
● Nimble, flexible, responsive to changes in the market
● Able to attract, retain, develop and motivate talent
● Ability for frequent national and periodic international travel (primarily to corporate HQ in London)
● Excellent interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, presentation and team management abilities
● BA/BS required; MBA or advanced degree is a plus